Monday, May 4, 2020

Week 11: Comics as contemporary litereature

Literary Comics

The comic has been through many iterations and stages throughout its runtime that only up until recently in the west has the comic taken a more serious tone in both its content and  viewership. In the past comics where viewed as just very casual pieces of short digestible content that anyone could pickup and read. This was as to keep the audience as broad as possible so that. But now that the underground comics movement set the precedent for more mature and grotesque content that the comic can truly show its potential as a medium of serious literature. 

For this Week I read Sin City, and Channel Zero with the former being interesting to me as it introduced me personally to the idea of a weekly comic with a hard set overarching story as most comic I had read until then only had loose moment to moment interactions tying them together. I enjoyed this immensely as i reminded me of a serialized novel or book series that each had its own contained story, but in service of a grander tale.

For the Later ,Channel Zero, I found strong particular interest in as I reminded me of some other forms of media like the video game, which can go hand in hand in viewing this comic as the literary piece as a good handful of media works are later interpreted by others in other forms of media. 

In many ways these two pieces are very similar to each other as both share the same messages (Anti-Establishment) and anti capitalist, as well as sharing the world's asthetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment